Friday, June 27, 2008

Competition is Done - Now we wait...

...and in the meantime have some fun - World's of Fun (an amusement park in Kansas City.)

Today was the final day of competition at Bartle Hall. St. Clair TEC students were competing all over the building - it was hard to keep up! We started on the upper level of the convention center. It is a massive room filled with thousands of competitors competing in nearly 50 competitions. From Automotive Technology to Nail Care to Health Care to Aviation Technology to Motorcycle repair. Each area is filled with state of the art technology for the students to compete with. There were Harley Davidson Motorcycles, Ford, Chevy and Chrysler Cars, a huge jet engine and full sized diesel trucks. Needless to say this can be overwhelming as a spectator - I can only imagine trying to focus on your competition.

I first started at Automotive - I found Bob - however I was only able to get in one photo before I was informed that there was absolutely NO PHOTOGRAPHY - so here is my lone photo of Bob competing. As for Alex - he was taking a test in the morning and I was never able to find him in the afternoon - I am hoping maybe his advisor Mr. Hunter has a photo I can post.

Then I headed over to Precision Machining where Nick was hard at work (pictured above.) He look cool and collected. Nick has continued to study hard the entire time we have been out here - he has really put his heart and soul into this competition. So we are all pulling for him - hoping that his best was enough to earn him a spot on the stage.

Next we headed down to Radio Production. Matt and Josiah were hard at work editing a one minute piece on the Techspo. They finished their editing around 12:30 p.m. By the time they got done there one request was to head back to the hotel for a well deserved nap!!!

I wasn't able to get a picture of James and Craig today - but I hear the Mr. Emig has plenty for me to post. Hopefully I will have a little more time during the day tomorrow. Mr. Yanik pointed out that I am only able to blog once a day - because we are going full throttle until late in the evening - when I get back and stay up to make sure we have a early morning update. So tomorrow - I may have a little time between our tour of the KCTV5 television station and the closing ceremonies to post some more photos.

Once the competition was finished some of us headed to World's of Fun - to enjoy SkillsUSA night at the amusement park. Others enjoyed a well-deserved BBQ meal.

Since I went to World's of Fun - I have to say - it was really cool to see so many people sporting their home state's SkillsUSA T-Shirt. Josiah is sporting the Michigan shirt. While you waited in what could be long lines - it was uncommon to chit-chat with people from all over the country. I think a lot of the contestants appreciated the chance to unwind with some thrill rides after a couple days of stressful competition.

Now it's late and I'm exhausted so I will do my best to post more tomorrow. Meanwhile the boys are all getting anxious because we won't know the results of the contest until tomorrow night at the closing ceremonies. So cross your fingers for St. Clair TEC.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Now you are going to make me feel bad. How about rather than you having to do all the work, you have some guest journalists help you out. Maybe each student and/or advisor would like to give a little of their own perspective for everyone to read. It really is fun to get the inside perspective. Take Care,

Pat

JH said...

great idea!